Maple United Methodist Church celebrates 100 years | Community Spirit
CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - Maple United Methodist Church in Cape Girardeau will be having a 100th anniversary celebration on Saturday and Sunday, September 29 and 30.
The anniversary celebration will begin with a gathering in the fellowship hall on Saturday evening at 5:30 where a time line, historical pictures and other memorabilia will be on display. A dinner, hosted by the Methodist Men of Maple will be served at 6 p.m .
A large number of invited past and present members and ministers who have served Maple Church are expected to attend.
A more formal service of celebration will be held on Sunday morning, September 30 beginning with coffee at 9 a.m. in the fellowship hall followed by the Celebration worship service at 10:15 a.m.
According to a history of the church, compiled by the late Hazel Ervin and then continued by the late Frances Miner, Methodism began in Cape Girardeau in 1809. In 1819, a little church was built near where the River Campus stands now. The second church was built at the corner of Middle and Bellevue Streets and in 1906, that congregation purchased the site of the present Centenary United Methodist Church in Cape Girardeau.
The history of Maple United Methodist Church dates back to the early 20th century, with two dedicated Cape Girardeau citizens, Captain R.B. Andrews and L.L. Dalton saw the great need for a church and Sunday school in the south part of the city. The first location was on Maple Avenue, overlooking the Mississippi River.
The Rev. O.J. Ferguson was appointed first pastor and the church remained at the first location until the early part of 1915 when the congregation decided that the church building should be moved further west because of the growth of the city in that direction.
A lot was then purchased at the corner of Maple Avenue and Ellis Street and the church moved to the new location in the middle of 1916. The south Cape Methodist Church continued to grow until it was decided in 1941 that a larger church was needed and the cornerstone was laid on June 15, 1941.
The second location was badly damaged by fire in 1958 making it necessary to rebuild the church and the last charter member of the church, Mrs. L.L. Dalton died in 1956.
In December of 1991, the church once again made the difficult decision to move due to the building of the new Mississippi River Bridge making it a challenge for most members to get to the church.
The church then decided to purchase property at 2441 Jean Ann Drive and the first worship service in the Jean Ann Sanctuary was held on Sunday, January 9, 1994.
In August 1994, a church wide decision changed the name of the church to Maple United Methodist Church. Dedication of the new sanctuary took place at a service of Consecration on Sunday, September 11, 1997.
Present pastor of the church is Rev. Bryan Schaefer.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.