Southeast Homecoming 2012 theme: 'Going Places with Southeast' | Events
CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - Southeast Missouri State University has announced the theme for Homecoming 2012 as "Going Places with Southeast."
Homecoming will be October 15-20. A festive week of events is planned, the highlights of which are the Man and Woman of the Year Recognition Dinner, the Copper Dome Society and Merit Award Recognition Dinner, the All Alumni Breakfast and the Homecoming parade and football game. For a complete schedule of events, visit www.semoalumni.com.
Homecoming events include:
Monday, Oct. 15
- Events will begin at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 15 with a Field Day in which students may compete in various events at the Student Recreation Center-North (SRC-N). For more information, contact Joanna Shaver at (573) 651-2280.
- A Spirit Rally is planned for 7:30 p.m. in the SRC-N. Cheerleaders, Sundancers, Rowdy, football players and coaches will lead Homecoming excitement. For more information, contact Campus Life and Event Services at (573) 651-2280.
Tuesday, Oct. 16
- Students will show off their talents at a Talent Show scheduled for 8 p.m. Oct. 16 in the Show Me Center. For more information, contact Shaver at (573) 651-2280.
Wednesday, Oct. 17
- The Man and Woman of the Year Recognition Dinner will take place at 6 p.m. Oct. 17 in Kem Statuary Hall in the Aleen Vogel Wehking Alumni Center at 926 Broadway. The 2012 Homecoming Court will be recognized, and parents of the candidates are welcome to attend. For more information, contact Campus Life and Event Services at (573) 651-2280.
- A “drive-in movie” for students will be shown at 8 p.m. in the Show Me Center parking lot. For more information about the event, which is sponsored by Campus Life and Event Services, call (573) 651-2280.
Friday, Oct. 19
- A reception will be held for endowed scholarship donors and student recipients at 4 p.m. Oct. 19 in the Show Me Center. For more information, contact the Southeast Missouri University Foundation at (573) 651-2332.
- The annual Copper Dome Society and Merit Award Recognition Dinner is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. in the Show Me Center. Copper Dome Society members, alumni and friends are invited to attend the dinner and program honoring the 2012 Merit Award recipients. Since 1958, Alumni Merit Awards have been presented to Southeast graduates who have brought distinction to themselves and the University.
- This year’s Alumni Merit Award recipients are: Dr. William Barry Aycock of Parma, Mo., owner of AgXplore International, LLC; Dr. Terry Adams of Lake St. Louis, Mo., superintendent of the Wentzville R-IV School District; Gregg Billmeyer of Columbia, Ill., vice president of premium light brands with Anheuser-Busch InBev in St. Louis; Dr. Cynthia Marie Fox of Tuscon, Ariz., executive vice president, chief clinical officer and a founder of LSVT Global; Dr. Judith Matthews Gallagher of Arlington, Texas, dean of Humanities at Tarrant County College’s South Campus in Fort Worth, Texas; Dr. Jerry L. Kinder of Cape Girardeau, retired general surgeon; Joseph E. Pappas of Festus, Mo., owner, publisher and composer of JPM Music Publications and an adjunct music instructor, director of concert band and core academic advisor at Jefferson College; Onesimo V. Sanchez S. of Panama, manager of the Economic Intelligence and Research Unit, Department of Corporate Planning and Marketing, Panama Canal Authority; and Dr. Kerwin M. Urhahn of Columbia, Mo., executive director of the Missouri State High School Activities Association.
- Receiving this year’s Faculty Merit Award at the dinner will be Dr. James Stapleton, executive director of the Douglas C. Greene Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship and associate professor of entrepreneurship at Southeast. The Faculty Merit Award is presented for excellence in teaching.
- For Copper Dome Society and Merit Award Recognition Dinner ticket prices and more information, call the Southeast Missouri University Foundation at (573) 651-2332.
Saturday, Oct. 20
- Festivities will begin with the All Alumni Breakfast at 7:30 a.m. Oct. 20 in Kem Statuary Hall in the Aleen Vogel Wehking Alumni Center at 926 Broadway. All alumni and friends are invited to attend the breakfast, which honors this year’s Distinguished Service Award recipients.
- The five honorees include Rebecca McDowell Cook of Cape Girardeau, local attorney, former Missouri Secretary of State, and Southeast Missouri University Foundation, Copper Dome Society and President’s Council member; and Robert A. Lipscomb of Jonesboro, Ark., a 1941 Southeast graduate, retired orchestra conductor, band director, teacher, administrator and realtor, and founding member of both the Copper Dome Society and Redhawks Alumni Group; Michael K. Harris Sr. of Sikeston, Mo., a 1984 Southeast graduate and University Foundation and Copper Dome Society member; and Jim Mayer of Arlington, Va., a 1968 Southeast graduate and administrative officer in the Voluntary Services Office of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in Washington, D.C.
- Cost of the breakfast is $10 per person. Reservations may be made by calling the Alumni Association at (573) 651-2259 or email@example.com.
- The Homecoming Parade, which will feature decorated floats, marching bands, the Man and Woman of the Year candidates and a variety of other entries, is one of the largest in the region. Floats will follow the theme, “Going Places with Southeast” and will depict tourist landmarks in America, including the State of Liberty, the Golden Gate Bridge, the St. Louis Arch and the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- The parade will begin at 9:30 a.m. in Capaha Park, travel east on Broadway Street and end on Main Street. This year’s parade marshals are the 2012 Friends of the University, Larry and Donna Marler of Ste. Genevieve, Mo. For more information, contact Joanna Shaver at (573) 651-2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Air Force ROTC participants will be celebrating the program’s 40th year on campus with a free brunch from 10:30 a.m. to noon in the University Center Redhawk Room. All former U.S. Air Force ROTC cadets are welcome to attend. Contact Vance Pawielski at (573) 651-2184 or email@example.com for more information.
- The Jane Stephens Honor Program Chapter and the Student Honors Council are hosting a joint open house from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Honors House at 603 N. Henderson. For more information, contact Craig Roberts at (573) 651-2513 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pregame celebrations, including tailgate parties, will begin at 11 a.m. outside Houck Stadium on Bellevue and in the parking lots surrounding the Aleen Vogel Wehking Alumni Center at 926 Broadway. Southeast alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends are invited to tailgate before the football game. Several Greek and student organizations will be tailgating for alumni to visit. Food and beverages will be available, and live music will be played in the tailgating area. For more information, call the Alumni Association at (573) 651-2259 email@example.com.
- After the parade, the Vet Corp Pig Roast will take place in the west parking lot of the Aleen Vogel Wehking Alumni Center at 926 Broadway. For more information, contact Thomas Meyer at (573) 270-4499 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Children may also participate in the pre-game celebration. After the parade, parents can take their children to the Kids’ Zone play area outside Houck Stadium on Bellevue Street and the parking lots surrounding the Aleen Vogel Wehking Alumni Center at 926 Broadway. Activities will include games and crafts, and will begin at 11 a.m. Kids’ Zone is sponsored by the Cape Girardeau Evening Optimist Club.
- The Alumni Association invites members of the class of 1962 to celebrate the 50-year reunion of their class with a luncheon at 11:30 a.m. in the Aleen Vogel Wehking Alumni Center at 926 Broadway. The cost is $15 per person. For more information, contact the Alumni Office at (573) 651-2259 or email@example.com.
- The football Redhawks will take on the University of Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks at 1 p.m. at Houck Stadium during the annual Homecoming football game. At halftime, the Man and Woman of the Year will be crowned. For tickets, call (866) SEMO-TIK or visitGoSoutheast.com.
- A Diamond Club Reception for alumni who are 70 years of age or older is planned for 4 p.m. in the John and Betty Glenn Convocation Center at the River Campus. This event, which offers time for fun and remembering, is $15. Appetizers and a cash bar will be available. For more information, call the Alumni Office at (573) 651-2259 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The university says a variety of Greek alumni events will also take place throughout Homecoming Week. For more information on these events, visit www.iamsoutheast.com.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.