Corps offers tours of largest diesel towboat on Mississippi River | Public Spaces
CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers St. Louis District is giving the public an opportunity to tour the largest diesel towboat operating on the Mississippi River.
Public open houses aboard the 'Motor Vessel Mississippi' will take place in August on:
* Friday, August 10 from 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. along the riverfront in Cape Girardeau, Mo.
* Sunday, August 12 from 11 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. at the Melvin Price Locks & Dam, in Alton, Ill.
* Saturday, August 18 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. along the riverfront in Chester, Ill.
The the towboat is 241-feet long and 58-feet wide. The vessel serves as a working towboat 90 percent of the time and has 6,300 horsepower.
Also a passenger boat, the vessel houses 22 staterooms, a dining room that seats 85 and a conference room that seats 115 people. The MRC flagship can accommodate 150 passengers.
The vessel will host the Mississippi River Commission's annual low-water inspection trip and associated public hearing August 17 at the Melvin Price Locks and Dam in Alton, Ill.,
The vessel is used move barges in support of bank stabilization work on the lower Mississippi River.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Cape Girardeau County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Sikeston man facing additional charges for alleged violation of protection order
- Man wanted in connected to shooting at Sikeston Eagles
- Sikeston man facing felony domestic violence charges
- Scott City School PTO to host annual dinner auction March 8
- Sikeston Convention, Visitors Bureau hosting photo contest